Friday, February 15, 2008

When I was hungry...

This last Thursday I was talking with a co-worker as we waited for the IT guy to get off the phone. She asked if I had picked up any more work as I'm only working part-time. I said I didn't have the time to work full time as I have this little house project thing going on... She was horrified to hear that I drive homeless folk around and invite homeless friends over to eat dinner with us. Her biggest concern was that I didn't get paid for this extra "work". I didn't bother telling her we had a friend I had met at the shelter living with us for the past two weeks.

I would never take money for what we've gotten to experience over the past two weeks. We had really gotten attached to our new friend and his heart-melting dog; but after 7 years of waiting for a place of his own, he moved into his first apartment tonight. It took alot of waiting for a messed up system to get it's act together, but in the end it seems it will be a happy ending. My heart soared to see how proud he was of his new home. The feeling we all got from actually helping someone get off the streets, and treating them like our Saviour has treated us, could never bought or paid for. I feel like I'm finally doing something worthwhile with my life.

We're sure going to miss having him around...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, Shaun is a great guy.
To me, this is christianity. Not "Dont smoke, dont drink, dont have sex, dont swear" and all the other rules that christians put on christianity. This life, so many people would say is dumb and ridiculous and unwise, is the greatest life I could ever ask for, this IS life. To help someone like that, is simply amazing. Keep up the good work, for once, you're showing people what real christianity, and real love for God is all about.