Sunday, March 23, 2008

Oh, Friday



It was very cold, to begin with. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am to relate...

We did a Good Friday service with Josh and Corky that took place in Skeleton park at nine o'clock Friday night. It was a service that involved interactive reflection and thought on the different reactions of Jesus' disciples on the night He was betrayed. The reactions we interacted with were denial, fight or flight, betrayal and despair. We had different stations for each reaction where we attempted to experience how the disciples would have felt on that scandalous night. For example, at the station for despair we had setup two couches in the park with pillows that had 'STAY AWAKE' and 'DON'T FALL ASLEEP' stitched on them, there were also scrap books of things you could pray for to look through.
In addition to these stations we had a labyrinth setup. I can say it provided powerful moments, and I recall praying harder than I had in a long time. This night was beautiful for me because I was quickly reminded of my need for God, and I think it really set the tone for this incredible weekend. I'm thankful God has made us to need Him.
After the service was over we returned home deeply cold and deeply tired. It was the kind of exhaustion that can only come from searching for God. But all of it was worth it, we had done this to glorify God and I hope we did.

No comments: